Performances & events

Would you like to use music at a University event? Curtin’s Tertiary Music License allows music to be used not only in learning and teaching, but also for some university events and business operations. Read more by selecting an option below.

The music licence permits:

  • A live band playing at an Open Day event
  • Playing live or recorded music at a graduation ceremony
  • Copying music to be played at the graduation ceremony.
  • Making an audio-only or video recording of a live music performance at a university concert
  • Making a video recording of university-run O-Week events where live or recorded music is playing
  • Making a video package of graduation ceremony highlights overlayed with music
  • Livestreaming a graduation ceremony from a university website
  • Uploading some footage taken at a university open day to the university’s social media page
  • Uploading video of a graduation event to YouTube

The music license mostly allows for content to be displayed on University websites and platforms (e.g. Blackboard). Provisions for social media are limited. Contact the Copyright Officer for more information.

These are events organised by, or on behalf of, Curtin, and may be held on campus or off campus, and can be open to the public. The licence does not cover events promoted by, or managed by, a third party. If Curtin is collaborating with a third party organisation for part of an event, the application of the licence needs to be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Examples:

  • A DJ set at a university-run event
  • Music played as part of an exhibition at a university-owned gallery or museum
  • Live performances at a lunchtime concert series where tickets are $60 or less
  • Recording university orchestras or bands

If you intend to organise an event where the ticket price exceeds AUD$60, contact One Music Australia to arrange an additional license.

The licence distinguishes between live performance and sound recordings of music, and use of music in context versus post production. This is because different collecting societies are responsible for these licences. In context means music is captured at the same time you record video footage. Post production means music is added to a video after you record the video footage. The licence permits limited use of music on Curtin websites and social media channels, for University purposes only and excluding commercial purposes, as follows:

  Uploaded to Curtin website Uploaded to Curtin social media channels Uploaded to password protected Curtin platform
Live Performance – music captured in context Yes Yes Yes
Live Performance – music added in post production Yes Yes Yes
Sound Recording – music captured in context Yes Yes Yes
Sound Recording – music added in post production Yes No Yes

Definitions for this table:

  • Curtin website means any official Curtin web page or primary online domain (pages hosted on
  • Curtin social media channels are pages managed by Curtin on third party platforms (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn).
  • Password protected Curtin platforms are platforms only accessible to Curtin staff, students, and alumni.

Use must be for “University purposes”, i.e. activities undertaken by the University as part of its usual business and excludes commercial activities. The licence does not permit use of music for commercial research, advertising, recruitment, and promotion of Curtin or any third party product or service. For example:

  • Showcasing student work to highlight Curtin has a world-class Arts unit would be non-commercial and permitted.
  • Creating an advertisement showcasing student work with the tagline “study with Curtin, we are taking enrolments now” would be considered commercial and would not be permitted.

The licence permits Curtin to play background music on its University premises, subject to the points below.

  • University premises must be owned or leased by Curtin, or by an entity that is 100% owned by Curtin.
  • The use must be for “University purposes”. This definition captures activities undertaken by Curtin as part of its usual business, including the promotion of student work and of in-house research. It specifically excludes commercial activities such as commercial research, advertising, recruitment, and promotion of the University or any third party product or service.
  • Curtin can play background music in the workplace for the benefit of staff.
  • The licence does not permit the use of music by a third party operating in University Premises. Third parties need their own licence to play music. This includes the Student Guild and its clubs because the Guild is not owned and operated by Curtin but is a separate incorporated entity with its own ABN. Curtin Properties holds a separate music licence with PPCA to cover use of music by third parties for selected venues on campus.

The licence permits University businesses to play background music, subject to the points below.

A “University business” is defined as a business or entity that is 100% owned by Curtin. It may operate under Curtin’s ABN, or another Curtin owned entity’s ABN. It may be located on or off campus. The business cannot be operated for any for profit purpose, but it can charge fees on a cost recovery basis.

Generally, it should provide facilities to staff and students only. However there are exceptions – including retail, the John Curtin Gallery, and food or beverage outlets, as these businesses are ‘incidentally available’ to visitors. It can include a contractor engaged by Curtin, as long as the contractor does not provide services to customers directly as part of its business. For example, the licence would apply to a Counselling Service if Curtin paid the practice a service fee rather than the staff or student paying the psychologist for the service.

Some specific examples covered by this section of the licence:

  • Curtin can transmit music on hold via Curtin’s telephone system.
  • Childcare facilities may be covered by the license if services are for Curtin staff and students only (not the general public).
  • Curtin Stadium is not covered, as the definition of “University fitness centre” only captures fitness centres where a university limits access to staff and students only.
  • Student Guild businesses are not covered as the Student Guild is not owned and operated by Curtin, but is a separate incorporated entity with its own ABN.

Streaming music services (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music, etc) are usually only licensed for personal, non-commercial use. This means they are not appropriate sources for organisational use. Legally purchased music (e.g. digital files, CDs etc) is fine to use. Alternatively, you can contact a commercial music supplier such as soundtrack your brand.