Teaching & publication

Teaching and audiovisual materials

Are you planning to use audiovisual materials in your teaching at Curtin? Learn how to use streaming video, broadcast TV, radio, and music for teaching and learning.

Curtin staff can copy and communicate copyrighted audio visual materials (radio and TV broadcasts) under the statutory license. Sources for this material include:

  • Informit EduTV, a database of broadcast TV content, including documentaries, drama, and series.
  • Informit TV News, a database of Australian TV News, current affairs and documentary content.
  • ABC iView, SBS On Demand and other catchup broadcast services (excluding Netflix, Stan and other subscription services).
  • Podcasts of radio broadcasts, for example ABC or 6PR podcasts.

This material can be shared with students (in class, streamed and recorded online, or linked to) as long as:

  • The program has been aired on Australian free-to-air or Foxtel, or is available online at the same time or after the broadcast on Australian networks.
  • the use is for educational purposes
  • the audience is Curtin staff and students only.
  • any copies made include the copyright warning notice
  • Content on TV catch up services (such at ABC iView, SBS On Demand) is linked to, rather than downloaded and shared.
  • Links to content are managed via Reading Lists.

If you require a physical or digital copy of a broadcast (instead of a link), please contact the library for assistance.

Films (clips or entire films) can be shown for educational purposes, in-class and via live streaming. This can include DVDs or digital downloads that have been legally obtained. For information about films available on platforms such as Netflix, see “streaming video”, below.

The best sources for films and clips are:

  • Informit EduTV contains a variety of comedy, drama and documentary films, particularly Australian content.
  • ABC iView, SBS On Demand and other catchup broadcast services also provide a variety of film content.

Curtin staff and students can use streaming video for educational purposes, under the following conditions:

  • Streaming videos (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo) can be played in a face-to-face class, linked to, or embedded in Blackboard. They should not be downloaded and shared.
  • Check the sources of streaming content to ensure that it is reputable, e.g. not illegally uploaded or breaching copyright.
  • Check the terms of service for commercial streaming services (Netflix, Stan, Disney). These often have terms of service which prohibit non-individual use. The exception is Foxtel, which is included in the statutory license agreement.
  • For more information on using streaming video in Blackboard, see our Blackboard copyright best practice guidelines.

Curtin staff and students can copy, store, communicate, and publicly perform music for a range of purposes under the Tertiary Music License.

  • music can be played in class (live face to face or live online);
  • music can be uploaded to Reading Lists;
  • music can be captured via iLecture or on Blackboard;

provided that

  • the music is in the repertoire of APRA AMCOS.
  • the copy must be from an authorised copy of a recording, e.g. obtained legally.
  • any copies made must include the copyright warning notice.

Streaming audio on platforms such as Spotify can be linked to for students to access.

Publishing and audiovisual materials

Are you planning to use audiovisual works in a publishing project? As with textual material, communicating (publishing or distributing) audiovisual works requires permission. However, audiovisual and other creative works can be complicated, as copyright protection may have multiple layers. Here are some different types of audiovisual material and the copyright considerations and permissions required to use them.

Considerations: Films can have separate copyright protections for different elements, including the visual images, the screenplay (literary work), and the soundtrack (music work). This includes feature films, documentaries, short films, home videos, animated films, video clips, and television commercials.

Permissions: Generally you will need to get permission for each element of third party copyright material contained in the film to make the recording openly accessible. You could either approach the creator(s) directly, or contact a licensing organisation that works on the filmmakers’ behalf, such as Roadshow or Amalgamated Movies.

Considerations: Music can have different copyright protections for different elements, including the composition (considered a musical work), and the lyrics (considered a literary work).

For music, other rights that can be referred to include mechanical rights (the right to record the song onto a format), performing rights (the right to perform the music in public or communicate the music to the public), and synchronisation rights (the right to put music together with video).

Permissions: You will need permission for any third party copyright material included in the sound recording to make the recording openly available. You could either approach the creator(s) directly, or contact a licensing organisation that works on the musicians’ behalf, such as OneMusic.